Golden Temple - Sikhs' Holiest Shrine

Although I did remember to wear my headscarf upon entering the Golden Temple in Amritsar, I got in big trouble (angry men carrying spears) for carrying in my shoes - oooops! Once my shoes were checked outside and I washed my feet at the entrance, I was able to enjoy this beautiful spiritual complex.
The Golden Temple shimmering in the sunlight is in the centre of a sacred pool, surrounded by a white marble walkway on the outer edges. The golden dome represents an inverted lotus flower (a symbol of Sikhims's aim to live a pure life). Four priests inside the temple keep up a continuous chant in Punjabi from the Sikh holy book which is broadcast around the complex by loudspeakers.
Inside was the largest kitchen I've every seen where lentil soup and chapatis for 30,000 pilgrams are handed out for free every day. The sound in the area where they were cleaning the thousands of metal plates was deafening.
<< Home